Who is Swami Ramanuja?
Ananthah Prathamam Roopam Lakshmanascha Tathah Parah
Balabadram Thritheeyasthu Kalou Ramanujo Muni:
Meaning – It is the same who was Adisesha (Anantha) first, Lakshmana after and Balarama in the third who is born as Sri Ramanuja in the Kali Yuga.
At a point of time, mother earth was burdened with multiple so called religions, each one propagating theirs to be the original. An environment of chaos, ignorance had taken over. People were perplexed deluded on which would be the right path leading to their eternal benefit. In such a backdrop, Swami Ramanuja made his transcendental appearance on this planet in the year 1017 AD, as an effulgent spiritual sun dispelling the darkness and destroying unauthorized so called religions. Swami Ramanuja is none other than the incarnation of Anantha (serpent bed on which Sriman Narayana reclines).The greatest, most important, confidential, dear servitor of the Lord. Of the innumerable auspicious attributes adorning the Supreme Lord, Swami Ramanuja appeared as the Lord’s personification of compassion. By his divine knowledge, revolutionary thoughts, dynamic conduct and authorized statements, Swami Ramanuja refuted scrupulous miscreants and crushed to ground, the unwanted weeds that reined the earth. Swami Ramanuja reestablished the principles of religion, showed the world that there is only One Supreme Lord (Sriman Narayana) and that, the ways and means of reaching Him is only through surrender .The most important purpose of the divine appearance being – to deliver humanity caught up in the repeated birth – death cycle. Swami Ramanuja’s lotus feet is the only relief for the souls caught up in the blazing fire of material existence.
Swami Ramanuja was born in the year 1017 AD in Sriperumbudur (a place near Chennai , Tamilnadu) to the most fortunate parents – Asuri Keshava Perumal and Bhu – Devi. The child at the time of birth, had divine brilliance in his face and went on to be named as Lakshmana Muni / Ramanuja. He grew up to master the Vedas, Vedanthas and other Sashtras at a very young age. Little did the parents, friends and classmates know that it was this Ramanuja who would grow up to be the pioneer of religion, benchmark of service to the Supreme Lord, emperor of Saints to lead the future with his divine charisma and enchanting nature. Swami Ramanuja appeared to deliver the transcendental message of Sriman Narayana to the world. The purpose of the divine appearance can be summed up as below:
1. To spread the message of Lord Srimannarayana – To deliver the living entities caught up in the cycle of repeated birth and death.
2. To propagate to the world, the eternal bliss that every living entity is entitled to attain.
3. To demonstrate the most sublime, easy way reach that state of eternal bliss is by performing unconditional, unqualified and selfless surrender – SHARANAGATHI to the Supreme Lord Srimannarayana.
4. To re instate the prominence of Vedas, establishing authoritative interpretations of the same.
5. To Pioneer the Sri Vaishnava Sampradayam and propagate Vishistadvaitha Siddhantham.
6. To standardize the principles of deity worship and the rules governing them.
7. To provide authoritative commentary, in line with Vedic injunctions on Sri Veda Vyasa Maharishi’s Brahma Sutras.